The Company is one of North America’s leading sales and marketing agencies specializing in outsourced sales, merchandising, category management and marketing services to manufacturers, suppliers and producers of food products and consumer packaged goods. The Company services a variety of trade channels including grocery, mass merchandise, specialty, convenience, drug, dollar, club, hardware, consumer electronics and home centers. We bridge the gap between manufacturers and retailers, providing consumers access to the best products available in the marketplace today.
The Customer Development Manager (CDM) is responsible for developing and growing sales volume in assigned territory, markets and regions through effective relationships with store operations personnel at the region and market level. Developing relationships with these higher level decision makers should have a positive impact on all assigned stores within a given region or market.
The CDM works with Retail Supervisors to raise the level of effectiveness across the entire area and region. This may include such opportunities as: planning, working retail with Retail Sales Merchandisers (RSMs), training and developing skills of RSM’s.
Essential Job Duties and Responsibilities
- Meeting or exceeding POS to plan goals for assigned territory and markets
- Delivering a positive gap versus Non-DRT
- Growing POS by selling incremental display locations, selling the execution of plan-o-gramed locations, executing initiatives as well as maintaining in stock conditions.
- Developing and leveraging relationships with key influence and decision makers in assigned stores, markets, and regions
- Delivering consistent market & region level contact
- Effectively gaining front end and main aisle presence. This is accomplished in conjunction and alignment with store or market personnel so that the primary merchandising and stocking duties are done by store personnel. This collaborative relationship is developed on a mutual interest and business relationship
- Provides sales training and skill development of RSM’s in assigned geographies
- Utilizes preferred coaching style – coaching vs. telling, role playing, open ended questions
- Provides constructive feedback and development opportunities to RSM via coaching and CDM training recap forms
- Communicates feedback to Retail Supervisors (RS) concerning trainee’s strengths and opportunities
- Mentors assigned RSMD candidates
- Participates and may lead meetings for their area or other RS area meetings
- Consults with assigned RKCM/Communications Mgr about development of sales materials and other account information
- Provides field perspective and feedback on SIF questions for their assigned accounts
Organizing and Planning
- Follows sales call standards and effectively orchestrates a call coverage plan that meets the business needs of the client and retail customer.
- Effectively manages RSM training
- Other related duties as assigned
Hires, retains, trains, coaches, guides, directs, and develops direct reports using company-wide processes, tools and resources
May delegate work of others and provide guidance, direction and mentoring to indirect reports
Travel and/or Driving Requirements
- Travel and Driving are essential duties and function of this job
- Travel up to 40%
Education Level: (Required): High School Diploma or GED or equivalent experience
(Preferred): Bachelor's Degree or equivalent experience
- 1-3 years of experience in Retail Sales Merchandiser (RSM)
Skills, Knowledge and Abilities
- Excellent written communication and verbal communication skills
- Good interpersonal skills
- Conflict management skills
- Decision making skills
- Ability to exercise sound judgment
- Ability to work effectively with management
- Ability to ensure a high level of service and quality is maintained
- Strong computer skills including proficiency with Microsoft Word, Excel, PowerPoint, Access, Outlook, and web-browsers
Environmental & Physical Requirements
Field / Reps Requirements
Incumbent must be able to perform the essential functions of the job. Work is performed in a retail in-store environment. Typically requires the ability to spend 66%+ hours each work day doing the following activities: engage in considerable physical activity, ability to lift and/or push up to 74 pounds, stand on feet for long periods of time, use products or cook food as appropriate for the demonstration, and may be required to work in extremely cold conditions (i.e. refrigerated and freezer sections). Also required to travel and drive. The use of proper safety practices when handling the products and/or cooking is essential.
Additional Information Regarding The Company Job Duties and Job Descriptions
Job duties include additional responsibilities as assigned by one’s supervisor or other manager related to the position/department. This job description is meant to describe the general nature and level of work being performed; it is not intended to be construed as an exhaustive list of all responsibilities, duties and skills required for the position. The Company reserves the right at any time with or without notice to alter or change job responsibilities, reassign or transfer job position or assign additional job responsibilities, subject to applicable law. The Company shall provide reasonable accommodations of known disabilities to enable a qualified applicant or employee to apply for employment, perform the essential functions of the job, or enjoy the benefits and privileges of employment as required by the law.